Another slow workday, and seems like an appropriate time to ponder “Buddhism.” Let’s see how I’ve been doing lately:
- Right Understanding – I think I got it down. I try to approach all things with an open mind.
- Right Thinking – aces there too–I’m continually working on eliminating those pesky pre-conceived notions.
- Right Speech – Ugh. I always remember the quote, “we are all born with an axe in our mouths…” Translation: avoid telling lies, gossip, idle chat, etc. GUILTY as charged, I’m afraid.
- Right Action – surprisingly easier to do than the previous one. I always try to do the right thing, but knowing what that is…
- Right Livelihood – Hm. I guess I should believe in my job, my employer, etc. I’ll have to get back to that one.
- Right Effort – Translation: avoid laziness and indulgence. Woops, guilty again.
- Right Attentiveness – Translation: learn to discern negative influences and resist cravings. Unfortunately, I’ve got a lot of bad influences in my life and I love them all dearly.
- Right Concentration – Huh? Definitely not one of my strong points. Oh well.