The Amazing Mirvana

Travels, and makes stuff.

Archive for the category “18th c.”

18th c. Fancy mens shirt

I’ve been playing in the land of 18th c. Menswear again. This is for a friend, for a fancy dress party that we are attending next week.
Here is the shirt with the cravat:

New corset: the time traveler

Made from a piece of linen with an interesting pattern of globes and clocks on it. I thought it looked “steampunky”. This time, I did include the wooden busk that I purchased a couple Pennsics ago from ReconstructingHistory.com, and I also used reed/cane boning, which is so light and easy to work with, I might never go back to steel for this kind of corset. 
Still using this pattern from Simplicity:
So far, the best one I’ve used for this style of corset that is both historically accurate and easy to follow. 
I am working on an open-front gown that is more SCA-period to go over it. 

All dressed up…

I’ve been making historical costumes for years now, and it’s mostly been for SCA, but I did a lot of menswear for a black powder reenactor friend of mine, and I’ve drawn inspiration from other periods, such as Victorian, and early 20th c. for making my own goth and steampunk clothing…

So I made this wonderfully awesome c. 1730s gown from Reconstructing History #822 Open Robe Anglais with Polonaise Option. Open Robe Anglais

And I’ve worked with other patterns from this period before, but this one worked out really well, and I’d call it one of the better, more user-friendly patterns out there. This particular pattern is definitely not for beginners, and requires some advanced skills like draping, fitting, and pleating, but an experienced sewer like myself, who never attempted a gown from this period before, should have no problems. The only problem I have is figuring out where to wear it. I might have to “crash” an 18th c. reenactment event or something.

I have also used RH #410 Heian Japanese Lady’s Informal Robes to make some Japanese garb that I wore to Pennsic last year, and it was so comfortable and easy to wear that I want to make a lot more of it. P1030158 purplekimono

I haven’t had a chance yet to use RH #407 yet, but I’m eager to try it. I am waiting for the right fabric to come along and “speak to me.”

That’s typically how I work, which might be backwards from what most pro designers do. They come up with a design and do a sketch or have some vision of what fabrics to use, and they look for a fabric that comes close to their vision. I, on the other hand, I find the yummy fabric first, and it “tells” me what it wants to be. When I found that piece of printed linen that I used for the open robe Anglais, I knew it had to be an 18th c. ladies gown of some sort. I often don’t have a choice in the matter. If the fabric says, “you must make me into an 18th c. gown,” even though what I really need to work on is a sci-fi costume for DragonCon or some other convention, I end up making the gown, doh!

Speaking of which, I’m strapped for ideas on costuming for upcoming sci-fi cons: GenCon and DragonCon, which fall close on the heels of Pennsic. I have all the gear to do the sci-fi military stuff that we typically do, but I wanted to do something different besides that. If I were a sci-fi or movie character, who would I be? Any thoughts?

Check out Reconstructing History: http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/

18th c. costume: chemise, corset, panniers and petticoat

18th c. Costume, panniers 18th c. Costume, petticoat

The 18th c. project so far
I padded out one of my old dress forms to make a toile in my size and shape, so I can proceed to fit the Robe L’Anglaise that I’m making to go over this ensemble.

Finished 18th c. corset and chemise

18th c. green corset
Made from an old couch cover and other scraps, and reed boning, which is very light. It’s very comfortable, maybe too much so. I wish I could lace it tighter. For the chemise, I used real silk organza for the neck ruffle. 😀

On the cutting table: 18th c. corset and gown

So I’ve been working on a “big” sewing project, little by little, when I can find time, and its just something I’ve been wanting to do for a while. I finally have most of the materials I need together, and I’ve been trying to use as much from my stash as possible. It is basically an historical costume, but with a little fantasy thrown in.

I am almost finished with the corset:

For being a Simplicity pattern this is actually historically very accurate. I have a collection of historical corset patterns, and just decided to try this one because its relatively simple: has the least number of pieces and was easy to adjust for a large bust. Some of the other patterns I have from this period are dauntingly complicated. I might use the chemise pattern here, too, but I’m not doing these panniers. I have my own pattern for those, which I drafted from one of my historical costume books.

And for the gown, I have a bunch of patterns to choose from there as well, but I think I’m going to go with this one:

I have a felt hat blank waiting in the wings for this project, and I have the most awesome pair of Jon Fluevog shoes…will post photos soon, I promise!

Post Navigation